Now, something I have never been able to even begin to understand is what some people call “ironic listening”. I know it is a constituent part of the overall branch of “hipster irony”, but to me, this seems even more illogical than the rest of it, and the only way I can display how ridiculous this concept really is would be to use a real-life conversation I had with a guy in the year above me at school recently.
(This is word-for-word the conversation, no exaggeration)
- Me: hey, what are you listening to?
- Him: Hybrid Theory Album by Linkin Park
- Me: oh sweet, which track?
- Him: I don’t know? I hate them… Crawling, apparently
- Me: what do you mean, you hate them? You’re listening to them for goodness sake!
- Him: it’s ironic listening, you idiot
I understand listening to music you don’t like to try to understand a level of hype. I understand listening to music you don’t like to try to find something you do like. Hell, I even understand listening to music you don’t like because your friend or crush likes it and you want something to talk about, but listening to it to be ironic? Really? Really?